A Christian is simply someone who knows and follows Jesus Christ. God sent His son Jesus to earth to show us how to live and to die on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins.
The Bible teaches us more about this, and is full of answers for life’s big questions…..
- God’s purpose: Peace and life “I came so that everyone would have life, and have it in its fullest.” (John 10:10)
- Our problem: Separation from God “All of us have sinned and fallen short of God’s glory.” (Romans 3:23)
- Gods answer: Jesus Christ “For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)
- Our response: To receive Christ “If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9)
HOW TO RECEIVE JESUS AS YOUR LORD AND SAVIOUR
1. Tell Him you need Him
Every person was created to know God’s presence and purpose in their life. Jesus said “I am the way, the truth and the life, no-one comes to the Father, except through Me.” (John 14:6). You need to receive Jesus in order to find God’s purpose for your life.
2. Be willing to change
Repentance is when you turn from a life of sin and regret to a life of freedom and hope in God.
3. Believe that Jesus Christ is your Saviour
Jesus Christ died for you on the cross so you may live eternally, free from sin. His sacrifice also meant you can receive healing in your body. He rose from the grave so you can receive eternal life, free from the power of death.
4. Invite Jesus to come into your life
Through prayer, you can invite Jesus into your life and receive Him as your Saviour and Lord. Pray this to Him…
Dear Lord Jesus,
I come to you today and confess that I need you
Please forgive me for all I’ve done wrong
Come into my heart, Jesus
Be my Lord and Saviour
Wash me on the inside and cleanse me from guilt,
Thank you for giving me a brand new start
Today, I open my life to you and commit to following you– for the rest of my life. Amen.
GROWING IN JESUS
You have started an exciting new life in Christ. To help you grow strong in your faith, we recommend the following...
1. Daily bible readings
The Bible is God’s message to you. In it you will find out how to live a successful Christian life. Obey God’s word and your life will be satisfying and powerful.
2. Daily prayer
When you pray, God is present and hears you. Set aside some time each day to talk with Him. Join the prayer meetings held at the Church and ask others to pray for you.
3. Sharing Christ with others
Share with your family and friends the great thing that Jesus has done for you. Perhaps someone brought you to Jesus — now you can bring someone too.
4. Worshipping God
Gathering with other people to worship God is good for us and a blessing to God and others. Committing to your local church and being involved in worship services is the best way to do this.
5. Be water baptised
Declare your decision for Christ by being baptised in water.
6. Service for Jesus
Be ready to serve Jesus in practical ways through His church. Life is rich and rewarding when you live for Him.
7. Friendship with Christians
This will encourage you and help you grow in your Christian experience and knowledge. A good way to make friends in church is to meet people after the Sunday services. Another great way is to join a Connect Group and meet other like-minded people.